Friday, August 1, 2008

“Just Point and Shoot”? Hardly!

Truthfully, I don’t even really know what this thing is. I DO, however, know what it’s NOT. It’s NOT an advanced GPS triangulation device used to give us hyper-accurate coordinates for drilling a well in a remote Indian village. It’s NOT the hardware for setting up a turbo-speed wireless “hot-spot” so that my blogging can be faster and better, even from a village in the middle of nowhere. And, despite it’s looks, it’s NOT a 30 mm light infantry mortar complete with laser range finder and ambient light magnification. It’s also NOT something that fits my typical gift mix. THIS thing is all about sensitivity and artistry. It’s about angles and perspective. Light and glass. It’s about sound-levels and mic checks. It is fragile, and requires battery changes. It runs out of tape, and requires a “Sherpa” to carry the backpack full of “ammunition” (i.e. extra batteries, tapes, wireless mics, etc). I can’t find the trigger. I’m afraid that I’ll drop it or crush it or scratch it or breathe on it wrong. But in its defense, Gene Ort tells me that it takes KILLER pictures. I’m sure he’s right… provided that I actually managed to record anything of value. Guess we’ll see if I’ve been a good “shooter” or not when I get back and he has a chance to take a look at the footage.

No comments: